Letting The Problems Pile Up

A noise from the laundry room interrupted our reverie. It sounded like drums being hit at a fast pace. 

 “What could that be?” Addie asked, looking very concerned. I sat firmly in my chair, and pretended to not notice. “Adrilyn?” 

   “I have no idea. All I did was start the wash.” I replied with my hands lifted. “There’s probably something large in the wash.” 

  As the sound progressed, Addie and I looked at each other. After a minute, we mutually agreed silently to go check it out. The large monster was shaking from side to side. It was almost too terrifying to approach. 

   “Something must be in there!” Addie exclaimed, and looked at me for guidance. 

  “Or the wrong soap, that has come to life, and is trying to make its way out!” I exclaimed with wide eyes. 

   “That’s definitely the issue,” Addie agreed. 

  “It looks like the only solution is to shut the door, lock it, and never think about this room again.” I finished, with determination making my way back towards the kitchen. Addie grabbed my arm. 

   “Adri, you need to deal with the real problem.”  " - Excerpt from my book Torn In Time

 I stare over at my massive mountain of clothes and wonder how at twenty two I got to be this way. Invites, stamps, addresses, and all the like, cover my bed, bureau, and desk. In the closet, my wedding dress is wrapped up in a pink bag. 

The excerpt above was from two years ago as I wrote in a book that is to take place in 1929 America. I have always had a goal to be able to write about mundane experiences of the every day in stories without falling asleep - but the point in this is that we would love to ignore laundry, and along with that, real problems. 

I wonder how I stress up a storm during a time of my life I wish I could just be rejoicing and preparing with a calm heart for my upcoming marriage. And I realize one of the factors that would aid in the area of stress would be forming a better habit of laundry upkeep. Where did it go wrong? 

Better question, how am I so busy that in the moments I'm home, I feel far too lazy and only have an hour to tackle that laundry? 

So homemakers, what is your life hack for the ever constant laundry? 

When I was little, I wished I could do laundry like they did in the past - no, not just with scrub brushes, but the way they portrayed it with Love Comes softly. In a river, with some soap and rubbing against a rock. Am I ever glad that my childhood dreams of my future as a housewife were absolutely wrong. 

When my family had to stay at these apartments for two months in late winter-early spring of 2020, we used the laundry room on our floor. But then, lo and behold, Covid hit, and we had to go use the laundry machines at my Grandparents. I don't think we appreciate the benefit of those of us who are able to have laundry machines for free in your house and the ability  to just throw a load in. 

Who wants to read an article on laundry?? 

Well that's simply my life goal this year. I already struggle with keeping up on my own, and this summer I'll be adding my husband's laundry to the mix. The good news is I get to start walking forward in my life dream that this blog is focused on, and plan on having those mornings at home to tackle that which needs to be washed. It'll probably be the only ideal time in life when I can keep it under a nice routine. 

We like to treat laundry like we treat problems we don't want to deal with. But the further you push it off, it piles up, and someday, you're going to have to tackle it all. 







Comments

Popular Posts