To my sister, my best friend
Do you remember
When we were little girls
and you couldn't keep our room clean
for the life of you
You collected Acorns under the bed
So I had a surprise of maggots
to meet me when
we cleaned out on Tuesday mornings
Or when we spent afternoons on my bed
Making up stories about our future husbands
And our chaotic children
We pretended our life was a movie
and we have been "mothers for years now"
Or now, as we spend Sunday evenings
Relieving all the energy suddenly summed up in us
Our family has chosen to ignore our oddities
But there is a silent communication
We don't even need to speak to understand each other
Our morning coffee and tea
Same advent devotional
Same couch in the evening as we watch a show
I've been stocking up for a while now
A few years at least
Compiling all the things for my future home
Dreaming of when the time will come
to make this a reality
The other day you helped me pack
I have so many books
And excess items sitting around
in hazardous places
It got more real though as we taped up the packages
As you, the stronger one,
carried out all my bigger items for me
My wall photograph, my new keyboard
My heaviest box of books, books, books
You drove them with me to storage
Collected all my stuff in a corner
And now that the time has come
For my dreams to become reality
And all that we've talked about now
No longer is fairytale
I'm not sure how to really accept it
As impatient as I am
To be married to Sam
I cannot fathom my morning coffee
Without you sitting there
reading your bible as well
Or to have my Sunday evenings
Without you cheering
my oddities from the side
Or you looking at me with quiet despair
That I am now the one
Who cannot possibly keep our room clean
Things are changing
And won't be the same
But my home is always an open door
For you to come crash on my chair
that you love so much
And when you're overwhelmed
You can always call me
I've learned some things never change
I pray God only makes our friendship
Deeper and stronger
as the years pass by
That our daughters
Will share their bright dreams
Of their futures
as they walk through flower beds
God always knows who we need.





Comments
Post a Comment