Nostalgic Rabbit-trails

 A single bite

Into seriously sharp cheddar cheese slice

And I'm taken back to watching Sabrina

With My sister and mother 

Of course, eating cheese 


Sabrina makes me think of Audrey Hepburn

And hence, I think of an old town theatre

Meeting up with a friend 

and companioned by, of course, my sister

Watching Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck

And my sister and I driving home in tears

Because Roman Holiday should have had 

A different ending


A Roman Holiday makes me think

Of an interesting movie with Robert Browning JR,

I’m watching it with my cousin

On a night I slept over

Accompanied with, of course, chamomile tea


My cousin and I, watching movies on a snow day

A day we were supposed to be driving to PA

And instead, we had a massive storm

So we embraced it - ran through the snow, watched Chick Flicks,

Watched their car fall apart, and prepare for our trip

A trip I’ll always remember, we left at 4 am because we couldn’t sleep


They say movies don’t connect you or work on relationships

That instead of spending time with each other, you’re staring at a screen

And while I believe it does take away from intentional time together

They always come with memories for me


Less of the movie, more of the 8 pm snacks with my mom and sister

The show I watched with my brother 

when everyone else was done with their evenings

For me, they bring more memories of the people

The atmosphere

The seasons of life 

Places you can’t go back to 

But you can always close your eyes 

And feel again


Not ending with that but remembering

There are many more to come 

They're gentle as light of the sun resting on your neck

As the evening glides in

You don't notice as strongly in the moment

You just enjoy and look back with nostalgia

And weirdly enough,

The memory can begin

With a taste, smell, sound, or sight











Comments

Popular Posts