The Guy Who Stays When the Music Stops

 I was told “keep the guy who stays when the music stops -

The one who is by your side when you’re sick

And at your worst” 

A few years ago, a bitter lady told me there are no men out there

That are good or worth keeping - not “Jane Austen worthy” 

“They’re a cute idea in the book but not real.” 

My friend and I responded that couldn’t be

Since our Dads and brothers were those good guys


Then I met you

I was praying so hard I’d find a man that I wouldn’t have to wonder 

Where he was at with God

Someone who was responsible and hardworking

And zealous after God

Then one conversation with you

Left me walking on air in amazement

It felt so easy


Well it’s not like every moment in life is easy

But honestly it’s so much better 

When we have to learn how to communicate

And talk through the hard things

Because we walk away so much stronger

And the way you are patient with me

Caring to do whatever it takes

Only emphasizes a heart after our Savior’s 


You’ve done the dishes without asking

And you’ve brought me home flowers 

You make me coffee on the weekends

And you sit up with me at night if I feel sick

You hold me in your arms when I’m trying to figure out all the emotions

Of change and questions that come at times

And you, every day without fail, 

Get up when that alarm rings

And go to work

So that I can stay home and cultivate a home of warmth

Even when I feel like I’m doing a terrible job

You still point out all the things you see that you call success


You lead us in devotions every night

And push me in areas I need it

Praying together is my favorite

Because it refocuses both of us on why we are here

And why the mundane matters 


Your heart for your family only grows my love for you

But the way you also have adopted mine

And pray for each one individually every night

Just brings me to grateful tears

You make sure to bring me snacks I love

And make me tea every night after you run my bath

I’m just spoiled entirely

And wish I could portray to every girl out there

Who feels desperately alone

Or heartbroken over a breakup

That God knows what He’s doing


Happy birthday to my husband

I know birthday’s aren’t a big deal to you

But I still like to take a day

To boast about you




 



Comments

Popular Posts