The Most Important Work

By Emily Steiger  

A reminder for myself today 

Forgetful in the course of feedings

Holdings, sleepless moments 

And trying to calm back to sleep 

That everything I think I need to get to

Can wait

It'll be there

For the rest of my life

But my little boy is only this little

Today

 just today is he as small as he is


Only 2 and a half weeks old

And his little face already seems so different 

He holds onto me so tightly today

That won't always be the case 

His little body - used to be the wiggler in me just few weeks ago

I'm not sure how to deal with those emotions

Or the bit of shock that comes with all that's happened 


But my baby is only as little as he is today 


The sourdough 

Honestly, can go bad

The dishes can sit

The floors can wait 

My hair doesn't need to be done

My bed, I'll make before I get in it tonight


And maybe just maybe

I'll listen to my own words Of advice

I've written for so long

That the most important work are in those quiet moments

Of holding, loving, and caring for your child


Singing them hymns

Reading them words from the Word

Praying over them

Or simply holding them as they sleep, peacefully feeling secure 

And stop feeling guilty by what we think needs to be done

And stop feeling minimal in the days that “just” consist of feedings and baby caring and feeling like you have nothing to show for your day


Your baby is only as little as they are in this moment for today 

And their soul is eternal

Even in their sleep they feel your safe presence and love 

A beautiful example of what our Heavenly Father does for us 

Holds us so gently

And gives us sleep of rest 

Refreshment by the wayside

He fills our days with His love and goodness

He surely doesn't see it as light work

But the most important work.


Comments

Popular Posts