Precious Little Moments of Awe

 You climbed into my lap so you could better observe the wash machine run it's load. It flips the clothes, makes water filling noises, and spins a rainbow. You sit, speechless in awe. 

Life is slower these days and yet they just fly by. It feels like I'm continually giving you your bedtime bath. It doesn't get slower. And the speed of it all that they warned me about, I thought it would be in hindsight - not in the moment. 

You are discovering more and more of the little beautiful blessings of life.

The things I remember I used to be so in awe of. And then I grew up. I wondered why adults were so boring. So distracted. Well now I wonder that again. How did we get so distracted by things that don't matter - alongside the big heavy important things of life? How did we lose track of taking in and loving the small, mundane moments of awe? 

I watched you notice some of those little moments for the first time this week. 

You discovered how to splash water onto the bathtub wall and chase the water droplets as they race down.

You discovered you're big enough in your little bathtub now that your toes stick out of the bubbles and you think it's hilarious.

You discovered bubbles exist.

You discovered your little games are hilarious, and I find you giggling for who knows what reason as you go around and wreck havoc. 

You think it is hilarious to throw your alphabet letters around, and even more funny to try to impress mommy with how many different objects you can pull yourself onto and try to walk to what you want. 

You discovered the bounciness of a mattress and it's the best thing ever. 

There are so many more things that you have yet to discover. I have realized the beautiful thing about life is we need children to remind us the absolute wonder of it all and to take moments to appreciate what our Creator has given us. They definitely appreciate it.

Here is to many more slow mornings with you, watching the laundry spin, discovering our reflections in the dishwasher, staring out at the snow from the window, observing those colored twinkle lights in the dark - giggling and laughing uncontrollably with Daddy on Saturday morning. None of these precious little moments are lost on me and I pray they may never be! 



Comments

Popular Posts