Chubby Toes and Dimpled Fingers

 Chubby toes and dimpled fingers

Crazy blonde hair disarrayed

We are coming up on almost a year here

And I cannot believe the baby I labored

For three days with

Is the one who now knows how to say “All done”

When the bathwater is gone


You are mystified by the spring 

 I planted flowers yesterday

As I enter my third summer doing it here

This is the first time you have seen it

You help me with the plastic flower boxes

And feel so big


You sing quietly to yourself

As I play Judy Rogers in the morning

You eagerly watch the landscapers outside

Smiling big waiting for any reactions


You are not always ready

To be done reading books

When I lay you down for your nap

Maybe it’s just a pushing off of sleep

But a book is a book

And there are times to keep reading


You feel so big

As I hold you tight

Sing you a song

And squeeze you for fun

Your laughter comes random

And absolutely untethered

At whatever thing I am doing

That I had no idea rendered such a response


This morning you gave me a proper kiss

And finished with a proud smile

You eagerly crawl up the stairs every evening

Yelling “Bath Bath!” 

And nearly leaping into the tub

Once Daddy has you ready 


When did you get so big

And why won’t it slow down? 

You have no idea what’s to come in October 

But I can’t wait for you to have a buddy

Because goodness knows you need one


It’s a full and busy life

Moments where you’ve pulled so much of my hair out

That I’m in tears 

And you’ve clung to me all day every day

Where I need so many grace moments

But these moments of laughter and curiosity

Keep my mama heart growing

And I wouldn’t trade it for the world 



Comments

Popular Posts