This Time Is Precious
He doesn't plan on walking - he plans on running.
My little overachiever is a lot like me.
But he still speed crawls for me when he hears a sound that scares him, clings to my hair and arms when shy before others, and crawls into my arms so tightly when he wakes up at night.
He turns one today and I remember how he only calmed down after birth once his Daddy held him. Now he laughs like crazy when he sees Daddy come home.
I remember taking the pregnancy test for baby number two in February. When I showed it to Edmund, he thought it was the greatest thing ever, even though he had no idea what it was.
It's his first birthday and we have a halfway point ultrasound for his little sibling. We talk like littles cannot understand the concept of a baby even on the way. Whether that's true or not, he knows mommy's stomach holds a baby brother or sister, whatever that might mean. I can't wait to see him try to introduce his amazing big world to this little one, not understanding that the little one will not quite care in the same way for a while.
It's flying by at the speed of light but as someone once said, "The years will be full years."
We say it flies by (and it does, and I cannot think about it) but it is true that the moments are full.
So challenge yourself to work against bad habits and distractions - challenge yourself to make those moments full and memorable for your little one. They don't have big expectations - unless you teach them to. Teach them the little things are the best expectations.
I still remember family night evenings growing up and what's crazy is my parents didn't have to do anything extensive, expensive, or exhausting to have us all occupied.
We did bouncy ball evenings - inside or outside in our driveway.
We did kick the ball over the house back and forth evenings.
We did hide and seek; blind man's bluff ; upset the fruit basket (that takes a little more energy) ; matchbox cars in the hall way ; lots of evening walks.
It was such a full childhood and I love that we get to do that for our own kids now. Last night Sam was carrying Edmund in from the car, fast asleep, to put into his bed. His little body collapsed into Sam's arms in full trust as he slept. Sam mentioned how he remembered the same thing from his parents when he was little - being carried in to bed. How special it feels to be able to do it for your own little one now too.
We act like it's such a burden at times - we forget it's an honor.
We act like we've been robbed of ourselves and our time - we forget this time is precious. We forget our Savior didn't take almost one moment for Himself so He could pour out His whole self with the time He had been given.
Not every moment is magic but every moment holds heavy meaning and depth.
I pray that I am blessed to raise my babies for many years and hold them close for many more. That my children will be full with the love that they've been given.

Comments
Post a Comment